Taking care of life insurance and long-term care needs
Adding a long-term care rider to a life insurance policy can be an affordable way to protect your clients from potentially devastating long-term care costs and protect their families at the same time.
How does this strategy work?
Purchasing a stand-alone long-term care insurance policy and a life insurance policy is one option. However, your clients can purchase one policy to cover both needs. Because 70 percent of people over age 65 may need long-term care services,1 this can be a cost-effective way to protect a client’s family and provide funds in case the client needs long-term care services at some point in the future.
Strategy in action
- Jennifer owns an Equitable life insurance policy with the Long-Term Care ServicesSM Rider.2
- She selects Death Benefit Option A with a face amount of $2,000,000.
- She chooses an acceleration percentage of 50 percent, meaning she can use up to 50 percent of her death benefit amount for qualified long-term care expenses. (She had the option to choose from 20-100 percent.)
- Her monthly benefit percentage is 1 percent. She had the flexibility to choose 1 percent, 2 percent or 3 percent. In this case, she can receive 1 percent of her death benefit for long-term care expenses each month.
Let’s see what could happen if she needed all, some, or none of the long-term care benefit. In each case, you can see how much of the long-term care benefit she used and how much was left for her beneficiaries at her death.
There is an additional cost for the Long-Term Care ServicesSM Rider, and it does have restrictions and limitations. Be sure to refer to the product specifications for further details.
- Needs life insurance protection
- Is looking for an affordable way to also cover potential long-term care expenses
Highlighted product(s) with this concept
1 U.S. Department of Health and Human Services at www.LongTermCare.gov
2 In Florida, this rider is called the Long-Term Care Insurance Rider. In California, this rider is called the Comprehensive Long-Term Care Rider.
Long-Term Care ServicesSM is a service mark of AXA Equitable Life Insurance Company.