VUL Optimizer® life insurance
Maximize accumulation and tax-free income and need death benefit protection
Why choose VUL Optimizer®?
People are searching for economic reassurance. It’s why we are committed to working with you to help them achieve their financial well-being. VUL Optimizer® is designed for policyholders who want to maximize potential cash value accumulation and potential tax-free distributions along with needed death benefit. It offers complete flexibility to choose their investments so their money is invested the way they want. It provides a way for policyholders to live more for today, keep more of what they earn and build more for the future. Of course, there is investment risk including the possible loss of principal invested.
Unlike term insurance, VUL Optimizer® protects the policyholders’ families for their entire lives, while adapting throughout their lives to provide access to the cash they need, when they need it.
- Lifetime death benefit provided required premiums are paid
- Downside protection via Market Stabilizer Option® II Indexed Options
- Optional Long-Term Care Servicessm Rider available1
VUL Optimizer® helps your policyholders keep more of their money, by helping to minimize taxes and generally no income taxes to the beneficiaries of the policy’s death benefit.
- Tax-deferred growth
- Tax-free distributions, when structured properly
Optional riders available at an additional charge:3
- Long-Term Care Servicessm Rider
- Children’s Term Insurance
- Disability Premium Waiver Rider
- Disability Waiver of Monthly Deductions Rider
- Option to Purchase Additional Insurance
- Market Stabilizer Option® II Indexed Options (charge only if exercised)
- Cash Value Plus Rider
Optional riders available at no additional charge:3
- Charitable Legacy Rider®
Riders automatically included at no additional charge:3
- Living Benefits Rider
- Loan Extension Endorsement
- No-Lapse Guarantee
Prospectus and Supplements
VUL Optimizer® is a flexible premium variable universal life insurance product designed to maximize policyholders’ future income:
- Offers some of the most competitive level-pay premiums in the industry today.
- Provides more than 80 investment options to help investors plan for a long-term strategy.
- Wide selection of index options make investing simpler.
- Asset allocation options — from conservative to aggressive — for the less active investor.
- More than 60 additional equity and fixed income options offering access to some of the best money managers in the world.
- Helps policyholders stay the course during market downturns with our Market Stabilizer Option® II
- The Market Stabilizer Option II® (MSO II) Indexed Options: When your clients need a more conservative allocation strategy to help manage market volatility, like when they are nearing retirement, our innovative Market Stabilizer Option® Indexed Options can help. These indexed options provide rates of return tied to the performance of the S&P 500® Price Return Index and offer varying levels of downside protection combined with the potential for growth opportunities in up or down markets.5
VUL Optimizer® in action
- Age 37
- One daughter
- Annual Income $230,000
Goal: Nicole is a saver. She maximizes her employer’s 401(k) and contributes to her IRA and brokerage accounts. She wants life insurance for her daughter, Ava, who is 5, and would also like a way to save for retirement in a more tax-efficient way.
For Nicole’s working years
- Design her policy to grow with her and Ava, so she’ll always have the right amount of protection
- Cash value within the policy has the potential to grow tax-deferred
For her retirement
- When Nicole is ready to retire, she may be able to access any available cash surrender value, potentially income tax-free, to help her live more comfortably in retirement.4
For her family
- Nicole can make sure that Ava will be taken care of financially, with the life insurance coverage Nicole will have for her entire life provided certain premium levels are maintained.
- VUL Optimizer® does have additional charges including but not limited to surrender charges, cost of insurance charge, mortality and expense risk charge, rider charges front end load and monthly administration charges, please make sure you and your clients consider these charges before making a purchase.
- May be a more financially sophisticated investor
- Age 30-60
- Has a need for life insurance protection
- Prefers an active to semi-active investment approach, with the ability to buy and sell when necessary
- Is comfortable making investment decisions and selecting variable investment options
- Is willing to accept market volatility, including the loss of principal invested, to achieve potentially higher investment returns
- Wants to fully participate in the market’s growth potential
- Wants access to cash for future needs
1 The Long-Term Care Servicessm Rider does have an additional charge as well as restrictions and limitations. A client may qualify for the insurance but not the rider. It is paid as an acceleration of the death benefit.
2 Asset Allocation is a method of diversification that does not guarantee a profit nor protect against a loss.
3 All riders are subject to the terms and conditions of the rider. All riders may not be available in all jurisdictions. Some states may vary the terms and conditions. There may be an additional charge associated with obtaining certain riders. Some riders may not be available in combination with other riders and/or policy features.
4 Under current federal tax rules, clients may access their cash value by taking federal income tax-free loans or withdrawals from a life insurance policy that is not a Modified Endowment Contract (MEC) of up to their basis (total premiums paid) in the policy. Certain exceptions may apply for partial withdrawals during the policy’s first 15 years. If the policy is a MEC, all withdrawals or loans are taxed as ordinary income to the extent of gain in the policy, and may also be subject to an additional 10% premature distribution penalty if taken prior to age 59½, unless certain exceptions apply. Loans and partial withdrawals will decrease the death benefit and cash value of the life insurance policy and may be subject to policy limitations and income tax. In addition, loans and partial withdrawals may cause the policy benefits and riders to become unavailable and may increase the chance the policy may lapse. If the policy lapses, is surrendered or becomes a MEC, the loan balance at the time would generally be viewed as a distribution and therefore taxable under the general rules for distribution of policy cash values.
5 The Market Stabilizer Option® II Indexed Options are available with new issues of VUL Optimizer®, VUL Optimizer Max®, COIL Institutional Seriessm, VUL Legacy®, Equitable Advantagesm and Equitable Advantage Maxsm policies, subject to state approvals.
Please be advised that this webpage is not intended as legal or tax advice. Accordingly, any tax information provided in this guide for producers is not intended or written to be used, and cannot be used, by any taxpayer for the purpose of avoiding penalties that may be imposed on the taxpayer. The tax information was written to support the promotion or marketing of the transaction(s) or matter(s) addressed, and clients should seek advice based on their particular circumstances from an independent tax advisor.
Policy form #s ICC15-100, 15-100 or state variations.
Market Stabilizer Option® form #s ICC15-R15-200, R15-200 or state variations (not available in New York).
VUL Optimizer® is a flexible premium variable life insurance policy issued in New York and Puerto Rico by Equitable Financial Life Insurance Company (Equitable Financial), New York, NY; and in all other jurisdictions by Equitable Financial Life Insurance Company of America (Equitable America), an Arizona Stock Corporation and is distributed by Equitable Advisors, LLC (member FINRA, SIPC) (Equitable Financial Advisors in MI and TN) and Equitable Distributors, LLC, 1290 Avenue of Americas, New York, NY 10104. Equitable America is not licensed to conduct business in New York and Puerto Rico. When sold by New York state-based (i.e., domiciled) financial professionals, VUL Optimizer® is issued by Equitable Financial Life Insurance Company (New York, NY). Equitable and Equitable America are separate companies, and each insurance company has sole responsibility for its life insurance obligations.
Equitable Financial, Equitable America, Equitable Advisors and Equitable Distributors are subsidiaries of Equitable Financial Services, LLC and Equitable Holdings, and do not provide tax or legal advice. Certain types of policies, features and benefits may not be available in all jurisdictions or may be different.
VUL Optimizer® Charitable Legacy Rider® and Market Stabilizer Option® are registered marks and Long-Term Care Servicessm Rider is a service mark of Equitable Financial Life Insurance Company.
This webpage is not a complete description of the VUL Optimizer® variable life policy. The prospectus contain more complete information about the product, including investment objectives, risks, charges, expenses, limitations, and restrictions. Please be sure your clients read the prospectus carefully and consider the information before purchasing a policy or sending money. the current prospectus can be accesses through the links above on this page.
For financial professional use only. Not for use with the general public.